Monday, June 20, 2011

Getting a Kenya Mindset...

On Thursday, I leave with a team of 31 people for Kenya. For the past week I've been repeatedly asked, "Are you ready?" My answer has typically been, "I guess." Which simply means, I haven't stopped to think about it too much. It's easy to get caught up in the preparation for the trip and not truly engage with thoughts of the trip until you're on your way.

When I left for Uganda Feb. 12, 2003...I spent a sleepless night before I traveled and then was hit with, "What was I thinking?" thoughts. I was moving to a foreign country where I knew no-one, had never been, and who no-one knew my family...for 2 1/2 YEARS! This was a completely new experience for me. I was my own entity...people would get to know ME and I was starting completely fresh for probably the first time in my life. It was a bit daunting to say the least. Now in hindsight...it was the best experience of my life and is lodged in my heart forever.

Back to the present (June 2011)...Preparations about done...three days til take off...only a 10 DAY trip this time...but a new experience nonetheless. I know about half of the team I'm traveling with and don't even know the names of the other half. We will be doing construction, adlib VBS and teaching as requested, home and church visits (which may require spot preaching/singing). Most of which are outside my comfort zone as I'm not what you would consider a conversationalist. I'm both excited and nervous at the same time. So...I'm beginning to get my mind back in Africa mode and beginning to think about the journey. I AM ready and AM excited now that I've been able to stop and think about it. I'm excited about what God is going to teach me through this trip and about the people I will get to meet.

Now the only question is...should I use my African accent...or just speak normal. ;-)
Please pray for us!
Good Relationships
Smooth travel
All baggage to arrive WITH us
Good Health and no Injuries during Construction

Love,
Heather Smith

1 comment:

Kelly Hallahan said...

i'm so glad I was a part of that Uganda time :) I love you! So excited for your trip to this continent- so close and yet so far!