Thursday, February 28, 2008

OK, I'll admit my last entry was half hearted at best. Then I decided to read some blogs and they inspired me to put more heart and mind into it.

This past week has been one of reflection, melancholy, frustration, and joy (laughing until I cry). A middle school student at my school's father died last Friday of a Brain Aneurysm. It was sudden and sad, but there is also joy and peace. Being a Sheriff, it was touching to see the multitude of police officers who attended the funeral on Tuesday. Surrounded by prayer and knowing that her dad is in Heaven gave Hailey hope and something to look forward to in getting past the shock and sadness. It isn't a band aid belief to give people something to hold on to. It is a reality.

Those that think they don't believe in anything or don't think it matters, are kidding themselves. I heard recently that there are over 1,000 different religions in the world. Spirituality is intrinsic to humankind. It's what makes us different than all other mammals. We were created in God's image, with a soul. There is only one, however, worthy of our praise. He is worthy because He paid the price for our sins and accepts us into His kingdom with no strings attached. We don't have hoops to jump through to obtain His grace. We just have to accept it. He's given us two commands: 1. Love the Lord your God with ALL your heart, with ALL your soul, and with ALL your mind; and 2. love your neighbor as yourself. Even on our worst days, we still care more about ourselves than we say. Imagine if we were able to love others that much...with God's help we are able. It's not always easy, but is possible.

Funny Moment: Setting- playground main character- Sofia weather- frigid, windy, and cloudy
Event: Recess- Sofia pulled her white puffy jacket over her knees till she looked like she had no legs. put her head in her collar, and just sat there keeping warm. She occasionally would tip over and not be able to get up, which would result in friends rolling her out of the way. She looked like a marshmallow. I was laughing so hard I cried. Today she did the same thing, but tried to get across the playground to me by waddling. She's too cute. I'll try to take a picture.

No comments: